I taught again today and everything went well. The kids really enjoyed the lesson and learned in the process about the proboscis of the butterfly (tongue) and what they eat (nectar). We pretended we were butterflies, made our own flowers, and drank the sweet nectar (juice). Fun was had by all.
I have one question for all out there reading. When did silent lunch become a okay? I noticed that the kindergarten and child development programs have the children spaced throughout the lunch room with no opportunities for talking. They all have assigned seats and if they talk it is only with those that are closest to them. I do not know if this is the way school lunch works for all the grades at the school, I am curious. I would like to think that when I become a teacher all my students can sit together and talk while they eat their lunches. I think it is a missed opportunity to learn manners, socialization skills, and enjoy the meal.
Teacher in Training
Heather Roller
I agree about the missed opportunity for socialization. I have heard of the first ten minutes of lunch being silent and seen the traffic lights signaling red for quiet, yellow for whisper, and green for talk normally. Maybe the had issues with behaviors at lunch, possibly?
ReplyDelete