Wednesday, February 24, 2010

EDEE 636 Day Five

So day five and I taught again. My lesson today was on counting teeth and graphing. I enjoyed the lesson but realize, I feel like I do not know the children and all of their abilities, personalities, and idiosyncrasies. So I am conducting the lesson and learning about who enjoys what, who doesn't enjoy something and what works. It makes me wish for my own class with my own children. I can not wait to see them learn and grow. Back to the lesson.
The lesson overall went well. I had the children look into hand held mirrors to describe what they saw eventually leading to their mouth and their teeth. I had created for them a visual picture of the inside of their mouth. We counted the teeth on top (ten) and bottom (ten). Then we glued one dot on every tooth (one to one relationship). This was overwhelming for some and easy for others. Some just choose to write the number 10. (This offer a variety of ways for them to express ten.) Then we grapher who in the class had 10 teeth. (One student had nine on bottom and was was convinced he only had five.) I enjoyed it. We later read two stories about the tooth fairy. They all seem to be very interested in reading and telling stories. In the end we wrapped up the lesson by practicing how to brush ones teeth with a huge tooth brush and model. A successful day... now I should read what the teacher wrote.

Teacher in Training,
Heather Roller

PS hate when i find something after the fact... this would be perfect next time.
http://www.preschoolplaybook.com/2010/02/aspiring-dentists.html

1 comment: