Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Last Day In Field

The most interesting thing that happened today in field was a conversation I had with my cooperating teacher. We were discussing the number of children who were either in crisis or had a crisis at home. Those were the words she used to describe the varying arrangements of family dynamics that could possiblely result in educational set backs. It was pretty disturbing. Without using any names she discussed about half of the students in each CD class had some type of crisis in their lives. She was very positive about how the children are progressing in school dispite these problems, and how one would not believe that a school of middle to upper middle class students would have this many problems.
I know that I would like to teach at a title one school, I have told my kids for some time that I feel like that is where I am needed and could do some good. However on reflecting on my conversation with my cooperating teacher I realize it does not matter where the school is, if they have money or not, or even if their parents are educated, all schools will have students who need extra attention in their education and in their social lives, what they really need is a good teacher.
I am so looking forward to the end of this semester because it is going to be a new beginning. I think if my clincal teacher allows me I will keep up this blog so that I can continue to see the changes I have made, it has been a good tool for me, even if no one is listening. Maybe it is the act of actually writing something down that helps. Maybe it will help me with my writing skills.
Have a great summer and stay in touch.

Teacher in training,
Heather

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely! I would love to read your blog throughout your student teaching. I'm not doing mine until the spring, so I would love any insight into what I have coming and possibly learn from your experiences. Keep me posted on where you are placed!

    ReplyDelete