Friday, March 12, 2010

Volunteering...

I learned after last semester that even though the teacher tells you she would like you to come any time she does not really mean it. So this semester I have taken the approach of being cautious. I believe it has paid off in spades!
I offered to come over the spring break just to help. I clarified, I was not the student just a parent volunteer, what ever she wanted me to help with I would. She explained to me how many teachers felt parents were there to look over teachers shoulders not to help, but to judge. I think this is a misconception by many teachers. Does it have to do with lack of confidence? Does it have to do with cultural differences?
Last semester with Dr. Bartel we read a book about conferences with parents and teachers, looked in the syllabus and I could not find the title I will have to email her and ask for the title. It was a very informative book about parents and teachers and the misconceptions that abound. I think every teacher should read it no matter what type of school they are going to work at. I believe it clarifies to the teacher how important the student is to the family, which is important. I think confidence is something no one can teach even in a teacher program. Yet, people skills and building relationships are a must for teachers, so that they can learn to become a partner with the families of the students they are teaching.

Teacher in Training
Heather Roller

1 comment:

  1. I think it's a shame that a teacher many not have the confidence to allow parents in her room at any time. I can understand if it is a new teacher who is still trying to find her groove, but I think having parents see what their kids are doing, helping in the room, and being involved in classroom activities is such a huge asset to a teacher.

    ReplyDelete